Seeds of Hope Partners is a Christian-based ministry centered around the 25th chapter of Matthew, verse 40 where Jesus said: "I tell you the truth, when you do it to one of the least of these, you do it unto me."
We are a non-profit 501c3, volunteer organization begun in January, 2003 as an informal partnership between the Tioga County, PA Human Services Agency and a group of area churches.
Our mission is to: "Assist families in Tioga County who are at risk of losing their children to foster placements or treatment facililties due to health and safety issues in their homes."
A few examples:
1. Home repairs: leaky roofs, broken plumbing, faulty electrical, general carpentry projects, building materials
2. Lack of Necessities: no food; no diapers; little clothing
3. Beds, bedding, furniture, kitchen items, living room furniture, tables, chairs, etc.
4. Special Needs: tubular bandages, Christmas gifts, graduation items, cleaning supplies, etc.
These families are referred to SOHP by caseworkers, homemakers and other staff in the Family Services Division.
SOHP is an all-volunteer group; no paid positions of any kind and our funding comes from donations from churches, individuals and civic organizations; we have no fixed funding streams. There are currently about 50-60 people across Tioga County who are active volunteers with SOHP serving in one or more of several categories:
1. Haulers/Truckers: a group of 6-8 folks who volunteer their time, their pick-up trucks and trailers, and their fuel costs to haul donated items to families who need them and to pick up items being donated. Practically every Tuesday, a group of these truckers are on the road for SOHP.
2. Contractors/HandyPeople: a group of 15-20 handymen & women who can do some plumbing, electrical work and general carpentry who give their time to do repairs to families' homes.
3. BeddingQuilters: numerous folks who canvass for bedding items (pillows, sheets, blankets, mattress pads); also, two groups of ladies and several individuals who HANDMAKE twin-size quilts for our childrens' beds.
4. Church/Community Liaisons: a group of 15-20 regulars who attend our meetings every third Wednesday of the month and make contacts for the materials and other items presented as needs by the caseworkers/staff of the agency. As needy families are presented, these folks come up with a plan to address these needs on the spot so that when we leave the meeting, we have a plan on how we can address the needs presented.
5. Area Businesses: several area businesses have graciously worked with SOHP to provide everything from building materials to mattresses/boxsprings to clothing to furniture; you name it and we have businesses who will help us get it at vastly reduced prices or in some cases even free.
6. General Volunteers: a group of folks who will do just about anything we ask of them; donate money when necessary; solicit for us at their churches and civic organizations; work on home repair projects; haul materials from Mechanicsburg, PA for us; you name it, they will do it.
7. Last, but certainly not least, are our caseworkers, supervisors, homemakers, staff, and adminstration people at the HSA who support our every activity; who give of their off time to help us; from printing our brochures to giving us a conference room to hold our monthly meetings in, to storing supplies, to providing facilities for training programs; etc
Seeds of Hope Partners meets the third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Willie Tokishi Training Building on Nypum Road, Wellsboro, PA.
If you should have any questions, in any aspect, to Seeds of Hope Partners, please do not hesitate to contact us via telephone at (570) 724-8648 and leave a message (messages will be checked on a weekly basis) or you can complete the submission form under the "Contact Us" page of our website and you will receive a response via email.